Changing the Conversation on Addiction
4 Lanyon Place
To mark 40 years as one of Northern Ireland’s leading Addiction charities, on the 8th April 2019, Addiction NI and Inspire will host their Addiction Conference - ‘Changing the Conversation on Addiction’.
This isn’t your average industry conference with a typical agenda: the Conference will be an inspirational and provocative event for people living with addiction and those who support and work with them. Delegates can expect to learn from leading experts about the latest developments in the substance use and addiction field, feel inspired by success stories, engage with others, and get involved in lively debate.
This one day event will provide a unique opportunity for practitioners, medical professionals, clinicians, community activists, outreach workers, advice workers, policy makers, employers, people with lived experienced of addiction and their families to come together to shape a new conversation on how we address addiction in Northern Ireland.
Agenda9:00: Registration9.30: Conference OpensTara Mills
- Conference Host
Addictions in NI 40 Years onAlex Bunting
- Director of Addiction NI.
Policy and Practice in NI
Changing Policy To Achieve Better OutcomesTony Duffin
- CEO of the Ana Liffey Drug Project
- Political activist and Founder of Transform Drug Policy Foundation
- Anyone’s Child: Families for Safer Drug Control
11:15 Mid Morning BreakKeynote Address: Drugs Do Not Define AddictionDr Stanton Peele
- World renowned addiction expert, psychologist and author ‘Love and Addiction’, ‘Why Addiction Isn’t a Disease’ and ‘Recover! An Empowering Program to Help You Stop Thinking Like an Addict and Reclaim Your Life’
Changing Our ApproachJudge Fiona Bagnall
- Presiding judge in Belfast Substance Misuse Court
Dr Geraldine O'Hare
- Acting Director of Rehabilitation: Probation Board Northern Ireland
- Chem Sex Mental health Lead for Addaction
Dr Anne Campbell
- Senior Lecturer at Queen’s University Belfast and winner of highly prestigious Lifetime Drug and Alcohol Fellowship Application to NIDA (US)
- Social Support Officer at Addiction NI and facilitator in Addiction NI Mutual Aid Group
1:30 LunchKeynote Address: Addiction Is Not A DiseaseMarc Lewis
- Developmental neuroscientist and author of ’The Biology of Desire’ and‘Memoirs of an Addicted Brain’
Stigma Free ConversationsLiz Karter Women and Addiction
- A leading UK expert in gambling addiction in women and author ‘Women and Problem Gambling’, ‘Addictions from an Attachment Perspective’
- Community health worker and recovery blogger
- BBCNI Reporter
Q&A: Expert panel4:15: Conference Close
Please note: speakers are subject to change.
Book early to avoid disappointment!
We have a limited number of bursary places available - contact email@example.com