**** Note: the site is currently closed (September 2019) ****
Ballycopeland Windmill is the only remaining working windmill in East Down. It was built in the late 18th or early 19th century and was worked until the First World War when it fell into disrepair. It was gradually restored between 1950 and 1978 to full working order.
A small visitor centre is located inside the Millers house.
Disabled access is not possible within the windmill. This is a group of traditional buildings on a sloping site with changes of level. Wheelchair users can gain access to the exhibition but may find this difficult. Some parts of the complex are inaccessible for wheelchairs.
For information on special access guided tours please visit - https://getinvited.to/heddfc/
Directions from Town
On B172 from Newtownards, a mile west before Millisle.
Site closed (September 2019)