As part of the ‘Taste the Island’ initiative for 12 weeks DiscoverNorthernIreland.com will have the top three food experiences and events in their weekly 10 things to do listing. DiscoverNorthernIreland.com has stacks of fun things to do across NI, from family days out to gigs and cultural events. Here are ten exciting things taking place this week including three food experiences and events (7-13 October)
1. Slow Food Festival, Derry~Londonderry, 9-13 October. Slow Food is a global, grassroots organisation that promotes true enjoyment of good food with the commitment to community and the environment – this two-day celebration showcases the best of local, clean, fair food with talks and demos, tours and tastings, street food, family fun and much more at Guildhall Square.
2. Taste Causeway 2019, Coleraine, 4-27 October. The Taste Causeway event will showcase the vibrant restaurant scene as well as offering a full programme of food and drink experiences, including themed nights, taster menus, cookery classes, food tours, Econmusee tours, and opportunities to ‘meet the maker’.
3. Mourne Mountains Food Trail, Annalong, 12 October. Let NI Food Tours take you off the beaten track into County Down, meet the local producers and farmers, hear their stories and taste their award winning food and drink.
4. Portrush Motorcycle Beach Races, Portrush, 12-13 October. The East Strand will be the spectacular venue for the annual motorcycle beach races, organised by the Foyle District Motor Cycle Club, in conjunction with Causeway Coast and Glens Council.
5. One Pot Feeds All: Talk and Book Signing with Darina Allen, Bellaghy, 7 October. Seamus Heaney HomePlace is delighted to welcome world-renowned cookery school owner and bestselling author Darina Allen for an intimate talk, cookery demonstration and book signing.
6. Oktoberfest, Belfast, 4-19 October. Held in Custom House Square, the festival will have a full range of beers to suit your palate, including Paulaner Oktoberfest Lager which is only brewed for the Munich Beer Festival. All the food and beer will be served by friendly staff in traditional Bavarian costumes.
7. Walled City Brewery Beer Masterclass, Derry~Londonderry, 12 October. A 1½ hour interactive experience where you can relax and let the Walled City Brewery’s talented brewers tell you the extraordinary 9,000 year old story of brewing whilst tasting their ten house beers matched with artisanal local snacks.
8. ‘Learn to’ Workshops, Lisburn, 12 October. As part of Lisburn & Castlereagh City Council’s Food & Drink events calendar, Larchfield Estate is hosting a series of ‘Learn To’ workshops. From bee keeping to fermentation and bread and jam making there’s a range of interesting workshops on offer.
9. Fright Night, Magherafelt, 12-31 October. This year’s Fright Night at Jungle NI will see the return of the horrid and harrowing “Woodland Trail”. Freaky sets frame a haunting story to send shivers up your spine, coupled with special effects, atmospheric lighting throughout and a creepy cast of nefarious creatures.
10. 2 Hour Paranormal Investigation, Belfast, 11-31 October. The chilling expert led two hour paranormal Investigation gives visitors the opportunity to interact with the spirits as they get hands on with authentic experiments using paranormal investigating equipment. The serious paranormal investigation will visit various hotspots of the Crumlin Road Gaol, where paranormal activity has been reported and sighted.For more information on these events or to plan a short break in Northern Ireland, visit www.DiscoverNorthernIreland.com. For additional Taste the Island events, please visit www.discovernorthernireland.com/tastetheisland