Here are ten exciting things taking place 10 – 16 February 2020.
1. https://armagh.space/ Special Valentine’s Day StarTracker Armagh, 14 February. A Valentine’s Day trip to Armagh Observatory and Planetarium will show the special person in your life that you love them to the stars and back. As the trend for experiential gifts continues to rise, especially among social media users who enjoy having a unique event to share on their platforms, the Observatory and Planetarium is planning a special StarTracker evening on February 14. This is an opportunity for couples to view the cosmos and even track down the Valentine’s Star, otherwise known as Betelgeuse.
2. Vinyl-Island-Van-Morrison-Moondance Vinyl Island – Van Morrison Moondance Belfast, 15 February. Following the success of last season’s new series for real music, real records and real history, BBC Radio Ulster’s Ralph McLean revisits another classic album on vintage vinyl. With expert analysis and live performances from his special guests, Ralph invites you to fall back in love with your favourite music.
3. Michael-Palin-in-Conversation Michael Palin in Conversation Magherafelt, 15 February. It has been 50 years since Michael Palin burst on to television screens as part of the anarchic comedy show Monty Python’s Flying Circus. Since then, Palin has become a national treasure through his writing, acting and documentary making. His travel writing and broadcasting has been acclaimed for the last 30 years and since his ground-breaking Around the World in 80 Days series, he has travelled from North Korea to the Sahara and from Pole to Pole.
4. Toddlers-Take-Over-The-Museum Toddlers take over the museum Bangor, 14 February. The building will become a fun and exciting place for children aged 3-5 years old. Through the theme ‘Vikings’, kids will experience arts and crafts, storytelling and dancing. Come along and have fun at North Down Museum!
5. Northern-Ireland-Puddle-Jumping-Championships NI Puddle Jumping Championships Newtownards, 15 – 20 February. Put on your wellies, get out into nature and have a splashing time. Come rain or shine, the Puddle Jumping Championships are the perfect activity for a fun filled family day out. Splash about in the ‘practice puddles’ throughout the day and get-set for the daily competitions with splash-tastic prizes to be won!
6. NI-Science-Festival NI Science Festival Belfast, 13 – 23 February. Join NI Science Festival as they celebrate the science of you, the universe and everything in between. These events present some of the best scientists from NI and beyond to discuss their work, cutting-edge research and what the future might hold. During the day, the festival offers a range of workshops, talks and interactive activities for young people, parents and schools. In the evening there will be an eclectic mix of scientific debate, talks, theatres, comedy, music and film for adults.
7. Silent-Light Silent Light Coleraine, 9 – 23 February. Visitors will be steeped in the landscape, embarking on a silent walk to Mussenden Temple which sits perched at the edge of a 120ft cliff overlooking the North Atlantic Ocean. Within the Temple, an installation of the artist’s ‘Stained Moons’ artwork awaits. The viewings will take place in silence and in darkness, after twilight, for fourteen nights in February.
8. Rustioni-conducts-Music-for-Valentines Rustioni Conducts Music for Valentine’s Belfast, 14 February. The Ulster Orchestra has had a long and treasured relationship with the pianist and conductor Howard Shelley, recording regularly together. Shelley is an elegant and delightful performer of Mozart, capable of bringing out all the charm and drama of the music. This concert is an opportunity to celebrate Shelley’s 70th birthday in fine musical style.
9. Cosmic-Cuilcagh-Legnabrocky Cosmic Cuilcagh Enniskillen, 14 February. The Marble Arch Caves Visitor Centre, nestled in the foothills of Cuilcagh Mountain, is a perfect place to observe and learn more about the mysterious night sky. Join staff, the Irish Astronomical Association and Sirius Science for an exciting evening involving outdoor stargazing, a 3D show and an array of entertaining interactive indoor activities to include a Mighty Meteorite workshop and more.
10. Stena-Line-Belfast-Giants-vs-Manchester-Storm Stena Line Belfast Giants VS Manchester Storm Belfast, 15 February. Join the Stena Line Belfast Giants as they take on Manchester Storm in Elite Ice Hockey League action on Saturday 15 February. Experience the thrill and excitement of ice hockey at The SSE Arena, Belfast.
For more information on these events or to plan a short break in Northern Ireland, visit www.discovernorthernireland.com