A host of fun-filled festive events in the Walled City
November 28: Go to the top of the nice list this year by treating your loved ones to one of Derry~Londonderry’s Christmas events.
Ranging from pantos to artisan craft and food fairs, there is a wide range of great value family-friendly events taking place throughout the Walled City this festive season.
With amazing places to stay and a vibrant bar and restaurant scene, why not make it a short break and have yourself a Derry little Christmas.
Visit Derry has compiled a list of events to give you a flavour of what’s planned for this festive season.
December 1 – January 2
Cinderella, Millennium Forum
- Come and have a ball at the biggest panto in the North West! Enjoy this fun-filled panto, starring Conal Gallen as Buttons, and have a truly magical family experience this Christmas in the ultimate rags-to-riches tale of Cinderella. The signed performance will take place on Thursday December 8 at 7pm, whereas the relaxed performance/dementia friendly performance will be held on Saturday December 10 at 2pm and the captioned performance will be on Sunday December 18 at 2pm. Visit
December 1 to 22
St Columb’s Magic Kingdom, St Columb’s Park
- Enjoy a magical light trail through the enchanting grounds of St Columb’s Park. A magical world awaits all the family in the heart of the city this festive season at St Columb’s Magic Kingdom. Take in the spectacle of illuminations, see Santa, Mrs. Claus, and The Grinch, toast your own marshmallows, and shop for gifts with local food and craft traders from across the Nort West. Visit www.visitderry.com/whats-on/st-columbs-magic-kingdom-p813531
Shirah of Bethlehem, Playhouse Theatre
- It’s Christmas Eve in Bethlehem. But of course, the people don’t know their little town will soon become a sacred place. Shirah of Bethlehem does what no other retelling of the Nativity has attempted: it stars a girl! Think of Amahl and the Night Visitors, The Little Drummer Boy, The Littlest Angel — even the animals in the stable and Joseph’s donkey have speaking parts. Mary is the only female. But what if the one who led the shepherds to the manger was a girl? Enter Shirah. Shirah’s story comes alive through the exuberant music of Motown hit-maker Elliott Willensky and the lyrics and narrative written by bestselling author Mary Pat Kelly. Visit www.visitderry.com/whats-on/the-playhouse-theatre-shirah-of-bethlehem-p812641
A Celebration of Saint Columba, St Columb’s Hall
- This special event is a home-coming for world-renowned Derry-born conductor, Darren Hargan who founded Le Foyer des Artistes orchestra. Handel’s Water Music was written in response to a request by King George I for a concert on the River Thames. In Derry, a city with an ancient maritime history, it’s the perfect choice to open the residency of Le Foyer des Artistes at St Columb’s Hall. This debut concert, features some of the world’s most outstanding musicians led by internationally renowned baroque violinist, Bojan Čičić. And for this special performance Le Foyer des Artistes will be joined by some of Ireland’s finest singers including internationally acclaimed soprano, Claudia Boyle. Visit A Celebration of Saint Columba – Le Foyer (lefoyerdesartistes.com)
December 16 to 19
Christmas Winterland Market, Guildhall Square
- A series of unique handmade crafts, mouth-watering local artisan foods, and tasty treats will be offered at this Christmas market nestled in Guildhall Square from Friday 16th to Sunday 18th December. The Christmas Winterland Market will feature artisan traders from the craft and food sectors offering a variety of Christmas gifts and foods, making it a great place to get into the festive spirit. Visit www.visitderry.com/whats-on/christmas-winterland-market-p812211
Allegri & Orchestra North West, The Snowman, The Guildhall
- Allegri Ladies Choir will join forces with Orchestra North West in the Guildhall, Derry to perform a beautiful programme of music. The show will include Howard Blake timeless orchestral work ‘The Snowman’ as well as popular pieces such as Troïka, Gaudete and some original takes on a few festive tunes which you will know and love. Come share in the excitement of the festive season and experience a sprinkle of Christmas musical magic. Visit www.visitderry.com/whats-on/the-snowman-and-other-christmas-classics-p813511
For great places to eat, drink and visit as well as great value international hotels, B&Bs, guesthouses and self-catering accommodation to stay in Derry, visit www.visitderry.com.