Thur 28th Nov – Sun 1st December
5.30pm – 10pm
Over four magical nights from the 28th November to 1st December, Lumiere Festival will be transforming Derry~Londonderry city centre. Having attracted over 175,000 people when it was held in Durham earlier this month, we are expecting a large volume of people to be coming to the city and have made the arrangements outlined below to cater for this increase.
To avoid congestion, visitors to the festival are encouraged to follow traffic information and directional signage as they approach the city. For those choosing to drive, extra Park & Ride facilities have been provided with regular shuttle buses into the city while many city centre car parks are extending their opening hours.
Essential tips for all
- Dress warmly, wear comfortable shoes
- Don’t try to cover everything in one night, take time to explore
- There’s no set route, and visitors are encouraged to explore the installations in whichever order they please.
- Tim Etchells’ A Stitch in Time (No. 6) can be seen from a distance.
- Compagnie Carabosse’s Fire Garden (No. 1) at St Columb’s Park will run Thursday – Saturday only, 6.30pm – 9.30pm
- All other artworks will run 5.30pm -10pm across the four nights
For information on the night
- Visit the Hub at the Millennium Forum which will be open from 10 am – 5pm Monday 25th November – Wednesday 27 December and 12noon – 10pm Thurs 28 Nov – Sun 1 Dec.
- Festival maker volunteers on the streets, dressed in red, will be able to provide public with information on the artworks and help visitors find their way around the city
- Visit the website lumiere-festival.com/derry-londonderry to plan your visit before you leave home
- Use the mobile version of the website via your Smartphone when on the street and keep up to date by searching for #LumiereDerry on Twitter or following @LumiereDerry and @derry2013. You can also visit facebook.com/artichoketrust and share your photos on Instagram using #ilovelumiere
- Pick up a guide which includes a map or download one from the website
Although there are no planned road closures there may be some disruption to normal traffic movements during the festival and drivers are asked to exercise caution in city centre areas. For live traffic and travel updates please tune into Q102 and Radio Foyle. Updates will also be available on the following social media channels @derry2013 @LumiereDerry and facebook.com/artichoketrust
- Park and Rides
You’ll be able to find Park and Rides at the following locations:
- 1. Limavady Road Site, 58 Limavady Road, Derry, BT47 6LT.
Bus stops at Ebrington.
- 2. Fort George Site, Fort George Site, The Quay Trail, Derry, BT48 7QH.
Bus stops at Queen’s Quay.
- Car parking
Foyleside Car Park – charged
Multi-storey head height restriction 1.98m
1600 spaces in total with 35 accessible bays over both East and West car parks with most in the East car park and notably in proximity to Shopmobility Derry. The bays are located close to the lift lobbies.
Car park opening hours for Lumiere:
Thursday: 7.30am – 11.30pm
Friday: 7.30am – 11.30pm
Saturday: 7.30am – 11.30pm
Sunday: 12pm – 11.30pm
For more information please visit the Foyleside Shopping Centre Website.
Quayside Car Park – charged
Head height restriction 6’9’
450 spaces in total with 12 accessible bays on the ground floor and 2 on each of the other 6 floors located close to the lift lobbies.
Car park opening hours for Lumiere:
Thursday: 8am – 11pm
Friday: 8am – 11pm
Saturday: 8am – 11pm
Sunday: 1pm – 11pm
For more information please visit the Quayside Centre Website.
Other car parks will be open, with the exception of the Carlisle Road and Queens Quay car parks which will be closed to facilitate an installation.
- Blue badge holders and disabled car parking
If you’re going to see Compagnie Carabosse’s ‘Fire Garden’ or Ocubo’s ‘Twice Upon a Time’ we have made available dedicated disabled parking in the car park located within the Ebrington site and in the St Columb’s Park just off St Columb’s Road.
For installations in other locations across the city centre, we recommend using car parks that have a number of disabled parking bays available such as Foyleside West, Foyleside East and Quayside.
- Coach parking
To facilitate groups visiting the sites, Foyleside Shopping Centre has 5 spaces for large coaches or 6-7 mini coaches. A drop off arrangement is encouraged by Foyleside management as the coach parking site does not have the capacity to cater for large numbers of vehicles.
Coaches can access the coach park to drop off passengers and they are then encouraged to park at the Lumiere designated coach parking facility at either Fort George (Strand Road) or new Limavady Road Park & Ride sites.
Translink NI Railways will be increasing the capacity on scheduled services and operating an additional late night return train services from Belfast.
On Saturday 30 November, there will be two magical family Lumiere train services from Belfast. These special services will include 3 carriages with children’s entertainment and a visit from Santa Claus. Pre-booking for these services is essential. To book please visit the Booking Offices at Central, Great Victoria Street and Coleraine stations from Monday 28 October.
Translink Family and Friends Ticket
Only £20 for up to 2 adults and 4 children (Minimum 1 adult and 1 child)
For more information on all Translink Lumiere deals please visit the Translink website.
For timetable and route information: www.translink.co.uk.
If you’re planning to travel around Northern Ireland, you might also want to check out Trankslink iLink which provides unlimited day, weekly or monthly bus and rail travel within 5 specified zones across Northern Ireland.
Ulsterbus operates various scheduled services to and from the airport to the main Bus Depot on Foyle Street in the City centre. Services also operate to and from Limavady. Other Ulsterbus and Translink services from throughout Northern Ireland, including the Maiden City Express from Belfast, terminate in the City’s main bus station at Foyle Street.
Extra Bus Services for Lumiere
The 212 bus will be running at regular internals from Belfast over the Lumiere weekend.
The 274 bus will be running a daily service from Dublin at 1.30pm, returning at 11pm.
For more information please visit the Translink Website.
The Taxi Co
3A Lower Clarendon St, BT48 7AH
T: 028 7126 2626
Special Coach services to Lumiere will be available on Friday 29 November and Saturday 30 November from:
- Europa Bus Centres
- Enniskillen Bus Centres
- Omagh Bus Centres
- Strabane Bus Centres
- Dungannon Bus Centres
- Cookstown Bus Centres
- Magherafelt Bus Centres
- Dungiven Bus Centres
Coaches will depart Derry~Londonderry, after the event at 22:00 each night.
Food and Drink
Many shops, bars and restaurants will be open, so please call in and support your local businesses.