The Northern Ireland Tourist Board (NITB) has put together a list of 10 exciting things to do in Northern Ireland next week (December 1-7).
- Santa’s Magical Island, Rams Island, Lough Neagh, Co Antrim, December 5-7. For the first time ever, Ram’s Island will be transformed into a winter wonderland, adorned with decorations and illuminated with fairy lights. This unique ‘Santa’ experience will take place for one weekend only, and will include a ride aboard the Elf Quad Train, toasting marshmallows at the camp-fire, kid’s treats, and a gift from Santa Claus, there might even be a glass of mulled wine for the adults! Booking is essential.
- Days Of Christmas Past, Ulster American Folk Park, Co Tyrone, December 6, 7, 13, 14, 20 and 21. This festive season takes the family back in time to experience the magic of a truly traditional Christmas. Visit the toymaker in his workshop, let the Folk Park Mummers entertain and amuse you, taste delicious seasonal treats and meet Santa and Mrs Claus who have a gift prepared for every child!
- 8th John Joe Gordon Trad. Weekend, Black Cat Cove, Belleek, Co Fermanagh, December 5-7. The fun filled weekend begins with an opening concert featuring all-Ireland Accordion Champion Mickey Curran playing in the Black Cat Cove, amongst many others. Visitors will be able to enjoy a range of traditional culture from fiddle and dance workshops to singing sessions throughout the exciting three day event.
- Carols by Candlelight, Ulster Folk and Transport Museum, Cultra, Holywood, Co Down, December 5. Sing traditional carols and listen to seasonal readings in the atmospheric lamp-lit Omagh Meeting House and celebrate Christmas as they did in times gone by.
- Children’s Day, Lissan House, Drumgrass Road, Cookstown, Co Tyrone, December 7. Enjoy a day for the kids at this enchanting country residence set within a 260 acre demesne of ancient woodland and forestry with storytelling, craft work, letters to Santa and refreshments accompanied with a visit to Santa.
- Festive Carol Concert, Stormont Parliament Buildings, Upper Newtownards Road, Belfast, December 5. This wonderful evening promises to get you in the Christmas spirit with seasonal readings and performances from highly regarded Soprano, Lynda Barrett, and the fabulous Methody Choir. Following the concert guests will be treated to mulled wine and mince pies in the wings of the Great Hall.
- Christmas Wonderland at The Jungle, 60 Desertmartin Road, Moneymore, Co Londonderry, December 5. Meet Santa and his colourful Elves at The Jungle! Explore the woodland petting farm where activities and tasty treats are on offer. New attractions include Santa’s house and Elf workshop complete with special sound effects and lighting.
- Mystery of the Christmas Star Digital Theatre Show, Armagh Planetarium, Co Armagh, December 1-6. Join Armagh Planetarium as they journey back more than 2000 years to Bethlehem. This modern retelling of the Christmas story in the Digital Theatre will charm and captivate audiences of all ages.
- An Creagán Christmas Craft Fair, Coolnharen Road, Omagh, Co Tyrone, December 6. A perfect day out and a great opportunity for the family to choose handmade original gifts from special presents to simple stocking fillers, while enjoying the seasonal atmosphere in the beautiful surroundings. Children can meet Santa in his grotto and Yuletide musical entertainment will bring the season to life as festive aromas fill the air.
- Ulster Orchestra Christmas Concert, Bangor Aurora Aquatic & Leisure Complex, Bangor, Co Down, December 4. The Ulster Orchestra will deliver a cracker with this year’s Christmas Concert, providing a jolly blend of traditional carols and favourite orchestral music that can’t fail to put you in the Christmas Spirit.
Please note some of the events require pre-booking.