Tourism NI has put together a list of 10 exciting things to do in Northern Ireland next week (December 21-27).
- The Muppet Christmas Carol, Belfast Waterfront, December 23. Enjoy the big Christmas movie on the Waterfront’s big screen! The Muppets perform the classic Dickens holiday tale, with Kermit the Frog playing Bob Cratchit, the put-upon clerk of Ebenezer Scrooge. Arrive from 2pm for face painting and lots of festive fun!
- Elf – Christmas Classic, Strand Arts Centre, Holywood Road, Belfast, December 24 and 26. Enjoy the ultimate Christmas movie – Elf. The chaotically comedic blockbuster film will be making a festive appearance at Strand Arts Centre this Christmas. Tickets are £3.50 and are available to book online. Showings: Christmas Eve at 2pm and Boxing Day at 6pm and 8pm.
- Boxing Day Race Meeting, Down Royal Racecourse, Maze, Lisburn, Co. Antrim, December 26. Have a great day out at the Boxing Day Race Meeting at Down Royal – Ireland’s oldest race coursing venue which was first established 1685. Since the 17th Century Down Royal Racecourse has brought the “Sport of Kings” to generations of people in Northern Ireland – it’s a race course steeped in history. Experience the excitement of the day and try some local food and drink at Taste@downroyal.
- Get Happy! Emily Olive Boyd sings the songs of Ella Fitzgerald, The Black Box, 18-22 Hill Street, Belfast, December 27. Come and enjoy some of your favourite songs performed by musicians of unparalleled talent, bring your friends and sing along in what promises to be the perfect Christmas night out. Following her recent run in The Commitments on the West End, Emily Olive Boyd returns home to Belfast to perform the hits of the jazz icon Ella Fitzgerald. Backed by her “fellas”, the superb Linley Hamilton Band, Emily will sing swing classics such as ‘The Lady Is A Tramp’, ‘I Got Rhythm’ and ‘Mack The Knife’. From 8pm to 11pm.
- Mystery of the Christmas Star, Armagh Planetarium, College Hill, Armagh, Co. Armagh, until December 23. Join Armagh Planetarium this Christmas as they journey back more than 2,000 years to Bethlehem, and seek to discover a scientific explanation for the star the Wise Men followed to find the baby Jesus in the digital theatre show ‘Mystery of the Christmas Star’. This modern re-telling of the Christmas story will charm and captivate audiences of all ages.
- Smokie, Millennium Forum, Newmarket Street, Co. Londonderry, December 27. Soft rock legends, Smokie, return to perform their most famous hit singles including ‘If You Think You Know How to Love Me’, ‘Don’t Play Your Rock ‘n’ Roll to Me’, ‘Lay Back in the Arms of Someone’ and their most popular hit single ever ‘Living Next Door to Alice’. This is your chance to reminisce and is a night most definitely not to be missed. Begins at 9pm.
- Magical Christmas Show with David Meade, Slieve Donard Resort & Spa, Newcastle, Co. Down, December 27. TV star performer, entertainer and mentalist David Meade, the man with the mind-boggling mind reading powers will be hosting a Magical Christmas Show at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa. Show begins at 8.45pm.
- Santa’s Grotto Lisnaskea, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh, December 21. Come visit Santa’s Grotto where children can write their letters to Santa, meet Santa and receive a gift. Entrance is £5 per child and includes a selection box, visit to Santa and professional photograph. There will also be snacks provided including tea, coffee and mince pies. From 6-9pm.
- Christmas Sleeping Beauty and Christmas Singalong, Burnavon Theatre, Cookstown, Co. Tyrone, December 22. Come along to this fabulous Christmas family show ‘Sleeping Beauty and a Christmas Singalong’ presented by Mid Ulster School of Music. At 8pm.
- C21, Panto Season At The Braid, The Braid Arts Centre, Bridge Street, Ballymena, Co. Antrim, December 21 and 22. It’s the night before Christmas and after a lot of excitement and a little bit of ‘magic’ Lucy finally drifts off to sleep but her sleep is short lived! She suddenly awakes from her slumber to find herself trapped in her dream. She is dazed and confused, but also intrigued. Come along to this fun and festive panto this Christmas. Show begins at 3pm. Family rates available.
Please note some of the events require pre-booking. For more details on these and other events click on www.discovernorthernireland.com/events, visit your local tourist information centre or log onto www.facebook.com/discovernorthernireland.