As part of the ‘Taste the Island’ initiative for 12 weeks DiscoverNorthernIreland.com will have the top three food experiences and events in their weekly 10 things to do listing. DiscoverNorthernIreland.com has stacks of fun things to do across NI, from family days out to gigs and cultural events. Here are ten exciting things taking place this week including three food experiences and events (30 September – 6 October)
1. Taste the Island on Rathlin Island, Rathlin Island, 4-5 October. Slemish Market Supper Club presents “Taste the Island on Rathlin Island”. Hosted by two top chefs in two top venues, this weekend showcases the best of NI food and drink.
2. Sustainable Seafood Soirée, Belfast, 4-11 October. This event being held at Fish City restaurant is aimed at seafood lovers who strive to be a conscious consumer. Enjoy a two-course seafood meal while hearing Fish City’s aim for sustainability and taking home a copy of ‘The Good Fish Guide’.
3. The Randox Northern Ireland Potato Festival, Bushmills, 5 October. This festival at the Causeway Hotel, brings together members of the public and the farming community in a celebration of all aspects of the local potato industry.
4. Waggy Races – The Castle Ward 5k, Strangford, 6 October. Waggy Races is a 5k fun run where you can enter as a runner, jogger or walker, with one or two dogs or in a pack, two runners and one dog. Race entry includes admission to Castle Ward, goody bags and prizes.
5. Irish Vegan Festival, Belfast, 6 October. The aim of this festival at the Europa Hotel, is to promote a vegan diet, sustainability and animal welfare in a positive atmosphere. It offers a range of stalls selling amazing vegan products ranging from cakes to jewellery to makeup and more.
6. Hatch, Strabane, 5-6 October. This performance at the Alley Arts Centre introduces you to Bláithín, who loves caterpillars, moths and butterflies. Follow her on her adventurous journey with Uncle Rusty to find Pearl, the most extraordinary butterfly with the most exquisite colourful wings.
7. Irish Gin and Cheese Pairing, Belfast, 3-4 October. Taste and Tour have teamed up with industry experts to bring together an exciting evening, combining two of life’s greatest pleasures, gin and cheese.
8. Broighter Gold Farm Tour, Limavady, 4-5 October. Visitors will tour the farm, before visiting the sheds and learning how the Broighter Gold journey started. Press and bottle your own Broighter Gold oils, before visiting The Lime Tree restaurant for lunch.
9. Autumn Wellness & Natural Remedies, Ballycastle, 6 October. Learn how to make natural remedies to help aid a healthy and nourished autumn with Broughgammon Farm including a range of teas, honeys and gels.
10. Signature Full Day Food Tour, Whitehead, 5 October. Hosted by Toast the Coast, this tour celebrates Northern Ireland food & drink as you journey by coach along the stunning scenery of the Causeway Coastal Route, with food tastings at each stop, light guided commentary and a meet & greet with locals to hear their stories.
For more information on these events or to plan a short break in Northern Ireland, visit www.DiscoverNorthernIreland.com. For additional Taste the Island events, please visit www.discovernorthernireland.com/tastetheisland