Stay local while still getting away
After being cooped up in the house over the lockdown period, families now have a chance to pack up and escape to completely new adventures with staycation fun and fantastic offers and places to stay in Northern Ireland.
Northern Ireland’s giant spirit is ready to safely welcome visitors again and the chance to have epic fun without the epic trek. From unique cottages, luxury resorts, stylish self-catering, cosy lodges and family friendly hotels, there is a whole host of options for booking your perfect family staycation now that will suit the whole family.
This summer and autumn, it’s not about how far, it’s about how fun so embrace the unique surroundings of Northern Ireland with some family friendly suggestions for accommodation from Discover NI:
- The Maldron Hotel Belfast City (4*) is located right in the heart of the city centre, offering convenience but a budget friendly option. With family rooms available, fun family activities, great shopping, restaurants, historic landmarks and public transport options right on its doorstep, it is the ideal base for your next family break in the city. The hotel offers brand new, stylish rooms designed to deliver maximum comfort to all guests. Visit https://www.maldronhotelbelfastcity.com/
- Speaking of the city centre, the Clayton Hotel Belfast (4*) is right on Ormeau Road, in the heart of the action and behind City Hall. This makes it a great spot for getting around the city sights on foot. There’s plenty to keep the kids busy – splash around in the swimming pool (planning to open at the start of August) and taste world cuisine in the on-site Avenue 22 restaurant with a kid-friendly menu. Visit https://www.claytonhotelbelfast.com/
- Green Holiday Cottages (4*) are situated at the friendly fishing port of Kilkeel in County Down. These corn and flax mill buildings have been beautifully restored to create a set of family-friendly cottages, each of which is fully equipped with all you need, including outdoor kitchens with BBQ and Pizza ovens. There are cottages here to suit families with up to 6 members. There is also a large secure garden outdoor play area and three pygmy goats, known as the three Billy Goats Green. Visit https://greenholidaycottages.com/
- The stunning Horseshoe Cottage (4*) on the shores of Strangford Lough combines cosiness and comfort. Tracey and Joe are committed to the highest standards of accommodation and invite their guests to feel at home with them. A great retreat for families, the cottage offers two double bedrooms, one with twin beds and one with double bed. Guests are welcomed with freshly made Soda and Brown bread along with homemade jams and butters. For family activities, the cottage is less than ten miles away from the Castle Espie Wetland Centre and when booking, ask about bread making classes with Tracey during your stay. Visit https://www.horseshoecottage.co.uk/
- In the Fermanagh Lakelands you’ll find Lusty Beg Island Resort (4*). Just a short ferry trip from the shores of Lower Lough Erne, this place is simply packed with things to keep grown-ups, kids and even grown up kids happy all day and all night. There’s an adventure centre, games room, tennis court, bar and restaurant. A choice of self-catering accommodation is available here, from hotel-style rooms to open plan island cabins. Visit https://www.lustybegisland.com/en/
- The Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel and Lodges (4*) is the perfect base to explore the Fermanagh Lakeland’s. With stunning views overlooking scenic Lough Erne, the Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel offers 71 spacious rooms including interconnecting family rooms and for those preferring the freedom of a self-catering break why not stay in one the hotels’ self-catering Lakeside Lodges (available for Autumn Breaks). Look forward to lots of family fun in their new on-site Play Park. The hotel also has an indoor swimming pool with kids section opening from 7th August available for the whole family to enjoy, so don’t forget to pack your swimsuit. Mum and Dad can restore their ‘Kalm’ with a luxury Elemis Spa Treat at Kalm Spa, open from 17th July. Visit https://www.killyhevlin.com/
- Explore the picturesque seaside resort in the Portrush Atlantic Hotel (3*) with its multitude of attractions and activities from the perfect central base. From grand historic castles to challenging golf courses, the town offers something for everyone, and all will be on your doorstep should you set up camp at the Atlantic. Ideal for families looking for a getaway by the sea with great walks, picnic spots and opportunities for water sports. Visit https://www.portrushatlantic.com/
- Looking for a relaxing break to the beach for you and the kids? The Marine Hotel Ballycastle (3*) offers an unrivalled seafront position on the Causeway Coastal Route. From soft golden sands to pebbled hideaways, there is so much for you and your family to enjoy. The hotel offers several family friendly offers, including family bunk rooms, interconnecting rooms and beach house family rooms. Pack your bags and bring the whole family to the coast. Visit https://marinehotelballycastle.com/
- The award-winning Blessingbourne Estate (3*4*5*) offers pet friendly self-catering accommodations, perfect for a whole family getaway. A beautiful historic 550 acre Country Estate, nestled in the heart of woodlands, lakes and wildlife on the edge of the Clogher Valley and within walking distance of Fivemiletown village. With a multitude of family-friendly accommodations, offers are filling up fast for the summer, with more availabilities open into the autumn. Visit https://www.blessingbourne.com/ .
- Finn Valley Cottages (4*) in County Tyrone offer idyllic holiday homes near Strabane, surrounded by natural beauty looking out onto the Donegal hills. This region offers a truly authentic experience, steeped in tradition, with many attractions and activities. Choose from 4 self-catering cottages and enjoy a relaxing family break with a common area games room, pool table, as well as a large open grass area for kids to play outside. Visit https://finnvalleycottages.com/
- The Roe Park Resort (4*) in Limavady is the perfect base for a family-friendly escape to explore the wonders of the North Coast, situated close to the Giant’s Causeway and just 20 minutes from Benone Beach. With a range of family-friendly rooms,children under 3 stay for free and the resort offers a special £20 bed and breakfast deal for kids aged 3-12. The resort has two superb restaurants, the Coach House Brasserie (closed at present but due to reopen) and The Courtyard with a family friendly menu. The resort also has an indoor pool (closed at present but due to reopen) to enjoy with the kids. Visit https://www.roeparkresort.com/.
- Perched on the banks of the River Foyle, within a five-minute walk from the historic walls in Derry~Londonderry, the City Hotel Derry is ready to welcome you and your family to a location steeped in history, culture and fun. The hotel offers a range of family friendly rooms and is a great base for exploring the city. Visit https://www.cityhotelderry.com/
- Caitlin’s Cottage (4*) in County Armagh offers great facilities for a well-earned family break. Located in a quiet rural setting it is a perfect location to explore the many attractions the area has to offer such as fishing, walking, cycling and horse-riding. This beautiful self-catering property, set in the rolling hills of south Armagh comfortably sleeps six with two double rooms, one with en-suite, and a twin room with single beds. Plus, it is fully equipped with all modern conveniences. Visit https://www.caitlinscottage.com/
- The Ballydougan Pottery Cottages (4*) in Portadown are wonderful self-catering holiday cottages within an enclosed courtyard at Ballydougan Pottery. Also on-site are a working pottery, a gift shop, coffee lounge and restaurant – set to reopen on the 3rd of August. Situated in a quiet rural location convenient to Craigavon, this is a wonderful base for a country retreat with the family and ideal for exploring many great locations within Northern Ireland. Visit http://www.ballydouganpottery.co.uk/
Social distancing measures of 1 metre are now in place across Northern Ireland to ensure the safety of everyone. In addition, ‘We’re Good To Go’ is a new UK-wide industry standard and consumer mark to provide reassurance to businesses, customers and communities that safe working guidelines in relation to COVID-19 have been adopted.
Book in advance to avoid disappointment and to explore much more in Northern Ireland, visit discovernorthernireland.com or follow Discover NI on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.